CONGLETON: St. James (Church of England)

West Street.

Church History

Built in 1844 as the district church for part of the township of Congleton (previously served by Congleton: St. Peter and Astbury: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District of Saint James, Congleton" were described in the London Gazette of 10 July 1844:

"All that part of the chapelry of Saint Peter, Congleton, in the parish of Astbury, in the county and diocese of Chester, situate on the western side of an imaginary line extending eastward, along the river Dane as far as the bridge, over such river, at the northern end of Mill-street, and thence southward, along the middle of such street, and the street called Swan-bank, Wagg-street, Wagg-lane, and Stony-lane, as far as the boundary of the township of Newbold Astbury, in the same county."

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1844-1957 ; M 1849-1980 — Cheshire Record Office (P 210)
C from 1957 ; M from 1980 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1844-1957 ; M 1849-1947 — Cheshire Record Office
C 1844-1901 ; M 1849-1908 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Congleton Library
Bishop's Transcripts1886-1894 (microfilmed) ; 1904-1919 — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesM 1849-2000 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1026)
NotesB — none

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches