KELSALL: St. Philip (Church of England)

Chester Road
Click for photo of church

Church History

Built in 1860 as a chapel to Tarvin: St. Andrew. In 1956 it became the district church for Kelsall and part of Delamere (previously served by Tarvin: St. Andrew and Delamere: St. Peter). The boundaries of "The Parish of Saint Philip, Kelsall" were described in the London Gazette on 14 August 1956:

"All those contiguous parts of the parishes of Tarvin and Delamere which are bounded upon the northwest by the parish of Saint John the Evangelist Ashton Hayes, upon the north and upon part of the east by the parish of Delamere upon the south by the extra parochial place called or known as Willington and upon the remaining sides by an imaginary line commencing at a point on the boundary which divides the parish of Tarvin from the parish of Delamere at the western end of the wall or fence which forms the northern boundary of close numbered 113 and proceeding thence east wards along the last mentioned wall or fence and southwards along the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the southern boundary of close numbered 116 and continuing thence eastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the western boundary of close numbered 117 and continuing thence southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and eastwards along the wall or fence forming the southern boundary of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the western boundary of close numbered 108 and continuing thence southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and along the wall or fence forming the western boundary of close numbered 108A and in the same straight line in continuation thereof to a point in the middle of the Chester to Northwich Road and continuing thence westwards along the middle of the last mentioned road to its junction with the northwestern end of Quarry Lane and continuing thence southwestwards along the middle of the last mentioned lane to a point opposite to the western end of the wall or fence forming the northern boundary of the house or premises known as Castleton Quarry Lane and continuing thence generally eastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and southwards along the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of the last mentioned house and premises to the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of the house and premises known as Woodlands Quarry Lane and continuing thence southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and along the walls or fences forming the western boundaries of closes numbered 536, 518, 521 and 499 to their end and continuing thence southwards in a straight line to the northern end of the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of close numbered 502 (thereby crossing close numbered 500) and continuing thence southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the northeastern boundary of close numbered 483 and continuing thence southeastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the southeastern boundary of the last mentioned close and continuing thence southwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the northern boundary of close numbered 459 and continuing thence northwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and generally southwards along the wall or fence forming the western boundary of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the northern boundary of close numbered 423 and continuing thence generally westwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and southwards along the wall or fence forming the western boundary of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the northern boundary of close numbered 422 and continuing thence westwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and southwards and southeastwards along the wall or fence forming the western and southwestern boundary of the last mentioned close and along the wall or fence forming the southwestern boundary of close numbered 398 to the wall or fence forming the northwestern boundary of close numbered 397 and continuing thence northeastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence which forms the western boundary of close numbered 426 and continuing thence northwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and along the wall or fence forming the northwestern end of close numbered 426A to the wall or fence which forms generally the northern and eastern boundaries of close numbered 393 and continuing thence first eastwards and thence generally southeastwards and southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence which forms the northwestern boundary of close numbered 282 and continuing thence north-eastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to its end at a point on the western side of Roughlow Road and continuing thence northeastwards to the western end of the wall or fence forming the northern boundary of close numbered 278 (thereby crossing Roughlow Road) and then eastwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the rural district boundary of Northwich and continuing thence generally southwestwards along the last mentioned rural district boundary to the boundary which divides the parish of Delamere from the parish of Tarvin and continuing thence first southeastwards and then southwestwards along the boundary which divides the parish of Tarvin from the extra parochial place called or known as Wellington to the wall or fence which forms generally the western boundary of close numbered 651 and continuing thence generally northwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to its end and continuing thence first westwards to and thence generally northwards along the middle of Willington Mill Lane to a point opposite to the middle of Weetwood Road and continuing thence first northwards to and then southwestwards along the middle of the last mentioned road to a point opposite to the southern end of the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of close numbered 594 and continuing thence northwards to and along the last mentioned wall or fence and southwestwards along the walls or fences forming the northwestern boundaries of the last mentioned close and of close numbered 591 to the wall or
fence forming the southwestern boundary of close numbered 14 and continuing thence northwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and along the wall or fence forming the southwestern boundary of close numbered 15 to the wall or fenceforming the southeastern boundary of close numbered 16 and continuing thence southwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and northwards along the wall or fence forming the southwestern boundary of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the southern boundary of close numbered 47 and continuing thence generally westwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and along the wall or fence forming the southern boundary of close numbered 70 to the wall or fence forming generally the western boundary of the last mentioned close and continuing thence generally northwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the southeastern boundary of close numbered 76 and continuing thence southwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming generally the southwestern boundary of the last mentioned close and continuing thence northwestwards along the last mentioned wall or fence for a distance of 6i chains or thereabouts and continuing thence in a straight line to the southeastern end of the wall or fence forming generally the southwestern boundary of close numbered 101 (thereby crossing close numbered 77) and continuing thence northwestwards and westwards along the last mentioned wall or fence to the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of close numbered 97 and continuing thence first southwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and then southwestwards and northwestwards along the walls or fences forming the southeastern and southwestern boundaries of the last mentioned close to the wall or fence forming the eastern boundary of close numbered 95 and continuing thence northwards along the last mentioned wall or fence and northwestwards along the walls or fences forming generally the northeastern boundaries of closes numbered 120 and 130 and in the same
straight line in continuation thereof to the boundary which divides the parish of Tarvin from the parish of Saint John the Evangelist, Ashton Hayes".

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1968 June 7 — extended to include Willington (formerly extra-parochial).

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1868-1962 ; M 1869-1976 ; B 1868-1930 — Cheshire Record Office (P 23)
C from 1962 ; M from 1977 ; B from 1930 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1868-1962 ; M 1869-1976 ; B 1868-1930 — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesM 1868-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE34)
B 1868-1899 — National Burial Index

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches