ECCLESTON: St. Mary the Virgin (Church of England)

Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient parish church, serving the townships of Eaton by Chester and Eccleston.

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1973 March 8 — amalgamated with the district of Pulford: St. Mary to form the combined district of "Eccleston and Pulford".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1593-1892 ; M 1595-1833 ; B 1593-1885 — Cheshire Record Office (P 87)
C from 1892 ; M from 1837 ; B from 1885 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1593-1892 ; M 1595-1833 ; B 1593-1885 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
Bishop's Transcripts1599, 1603-04, 1610, 1614, 1617, 1623, 1631-34, 1638-39, 1663, 1666-71, 1675-79, 1681-84, 1704-32, 1734-59, 1761-79, 1782, 1784-89, 1791-96,1798-1805, 1807-1905, 1912 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesC 1593-1892 ; M 1593-1833 ; B 1593-1885 (transcript/index by H. Fearnall) — Cheshire Record Office
M 1593-1833 — North Wales Marriage Index
M 1595-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE21)
Monumental InscriptionsTranscript by H. Fearnall, 1970 — Cheshire Record Office

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches