HASLINGTON: St. Matthew (Church of England)

Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient chapelry in the parish of Barthomley: St. Bertoline serving the township of Haslington, which in 1860 became a district church. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Haslington" were described in the London Gazette of 16 May 1860:

"All that part of the parish of Barthomley, in the county and diocese of Chester, which is comprised within the township of Haslington."

The district was affected by the following boundary change:

  • 1952 October 24 — reduced when the following area was transferred to Alsager: Christ Church: "All that part of the parish of Haslington which is bounded upon the southwest by the parish of Crewe, upon the south by the parish of Barthomley, upon the east by the parish of Christ Church, Alsager, upon the north by the parish of Christ Church, Wheelock, and upon the remaining side by an imaginary line commencing at a point in the middle of the road leading to Bridgehouse Farm on the boundary which divides the parish of Christ Church, Wheelock, from the parish of Haslington and extending thence southeastwards along the middle of the last mentioned road to a point opposite to the middle of the footpath leading to Moss Cottage and continuing thence southwestwards to and along the middle of the said footpath for a distance of 25 chains to its junction with the footpath leading to Haslington Hall and continuing thence first southeastwards along the middle of the last mentioned footpath for a distance of 19 chains and then southwestwards for a distance of 22 chains to a point opposite to the middle of the footpath and road leading to Homeshaw Lane and continuing thence first southeastwards to and along the last mentioned footpath and road and thence southwestwards to a point opposite to the middle of Homeshaw Lane and continuing thence first to and then westwards along the middle of the last mentioned lane to a point opposite to the middle of the road leading to Butterton Lane and continuing thence southwards to and along the middle of the last mentioned road (thereby passing east of Butterton Lane Farm) and then in a straight line across the last mentioned road to the (boundary which divides the parish of Haslington from the parish of Crewe".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1645-1907 ; M 1652, 1716-1753, 1841-1993 ; B 1645-1715, 1813-1992 — Cheshire Record Office (P 43)
C from 1907 ; M from 1993 ; B from 1992 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1645-1907 ; M 1652, 1716-1753, 1841-1926 ; B 1645-1715, 1813-1899 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Crewe Library ; Sandbach Library
Bishop's Transcripts1665, 1667, 1673, 1812-76 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesM 1841-1974 — Cheshire BMD (CC:1043)
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by the Family History Society of Cheshire, 1994
NotesC 1783-1794 — omitted from registers
M 1761-1841 — see Barthomley: St. Bertoline

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches