LATCHFORD: St. James the Great (Church of England)

Wilderspool Causeway.

Church History

A chapelry in the parish of Grappenhall: St. Wilfrid from 1777. In 1866 it became the district church for parts of the townships of Latchford, Thelwall and Warrington (previously served by Grappenhall: St. Wilfrid, Thelwall: All Saints, and the Lancashire parish of Warrington St. Elphin). The boundaries of "The Consolidated Chapelry of Saint James, Latchford" were described in the London Gazette on 27 July 1866:

"All those contiguous portions of the parish of Grappenhall, in the county of Chester, and in the diocese of Chester, of the parochial chapelry of Thelwall, in the same county and diocese, and of the parish of Warrington, in the county of Lancaster, and in the said diocese of Chester, which are together bounded on the south-east by the new parish of Christ Church,, Latchford, in the county of Chester, and diocese of Chester aforesaid, on the south-west by the particular district of St. Thomas, Stockton Heath, in the same county and diocese, and upon the other sides, that is generally upon the west and north, by an imaginary line extending along the middle of the River Mersey."

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1968 February 14 — (details not available)

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1777-1942 ; M 1833-1944 ; B 1782-1961 — Cheshire Record Office (P 147)
C from 1942 ; M from 1944 ; B from 1961 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1777-1942 ; M 1833-1944 ; B 1782-1961 — Cheshire Record Office ; Warrington Library
Bishop's Transcripts1784-1841, 1851, 1882 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
Copies and IndexesM 1838-1933 — Cheshire BMD (WA:C12)
Monumental InscriptionsTranscript by Liverpool & South West Lancashie Family History Society (Warrington Group), 1979 — Cheshire Record Office, Warrington Library
Transcript by G. C. Normansell, 1998 — Cheshire Record Office

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches