CREWE: St. Paul (Church of England)

Also known as: Coppenhall St. Paul
Click for photo of church

Church History

Founded in 1869 as the district church for part of the township of Monks Coppenhall (previously served by Coppenhall: St. Michael). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Paul, Coppenhall" were described in the London Gazette on 14 December 1869:

"All that part of the parish of Coppenhall, in the county of Chester, and ill the diocese of Chester, which consists of all that portion of the township of Monk's Coppenhall wherein the present incumbent of such parish now possesses the exclusive cure of souls, that is to say, of all that portion of the said township which is not included within the limits of the new parish of Christ Church, Crewe, sometime part of the parish of Coppenhall aforesaid."

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1886 January 5 — reduced when part of the township of Monks Coppenhall was transferred to Crewe: St. Barnabas.
  • 1914 April 7 — reduced when part of the township of Monks Coppenhall was transferred to Crewe: St. John the Baptist.
  • 1923 August 3 — reduced when part of the township of Monks Coppenhall was transferred to Crewe: St. John the Baptist.
  • 1931July 3 — reduced when part of the township of Monks Coppenhall was transferred to Crewe: St. Peter
  • 1961 November 27 — boundary alteration (details not available)

The district also included the chapel of Crewe: All Saints.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1869-1964 ; M 1870-1971 — Cheshire Record Office (P 135)
C from 1965 ; M from 1971 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1869-1939 ; M 1870-1948 — Cheshire Record Office
C 1869-1901 ; M 1870-1903 — Crewe Library
Copies and IndexesM 1870-1974 — Cheshire BMD (CC:701)
NotesB — none

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches