POYNTON: St. George (Church of England)

London Road South
Click for photo of church

Church History

An ancient chapelry in the parish of Prestbury: St. Peter, which became the district church for the townships of Poynton and Worth in 1871. The boundaries of "The Consolidated Chapelry of Saint George, Poynton" were described in the London Gazette on 22 August 1871:

"All that portion of the parish of Prestbury, in the county of Chester, and in the diocese of Chester, and also all that contiguous portion of the consolidated chapelry of Saint Thomas, High Lane, in the same Bounty and diocese, which are respectively comprised within and are co-extensive with the limits of the two townships of Poynton and Worth, which said two townships, taken together, originally constituted and composed the ancient parochial chapelry of Poynton."

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1723-1988 ; M 1723-1753, 1859-1994 ; B 1795-1941 — Cheshire Record Office (P 247)
C from 1988 ; M from 1994 ; B from 1941 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1723-1958 ; M 1723-1753, 1859-1947 ; B 1859-1922 — Cheshire Record Office ; Poynton Library
C 1723-1958 ; M 1723-1754, 1859-1922 — Family History Society of Cheshire
C 1723-1958 ; M 1723-1753, 1859-1922 ; B 1795-1883 — Manchester Archives & Local Studies
Bishop's Transcripts 1723-27, 1729-98, 1800-02, 1804-05, 1807-27, 1829-64 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
1863-1864 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes M 1723-1753 — published in: Cheshire Parish Registers: Marriages, vol. 5 (Phillimore, 1914) ;
M 1723-1753 — Boyd's Marriage Index and North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry and findmypast ; Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1859-2009 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1073)
Monumental Inscriptions Published by North Cheshire Family History Society (edited by D. Wright), 1992

  Explanatory Notes Index of Churches