A township in Daresbury chapelry and Runcorn ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 5780). In 1936 the civil parish was extended to include part of Norton, and renamed Preston Brook. In 1967 part of the village of Preston Brook was transferred to of Runcorn civil parish.
It includes the hamlets of Barkers Hollow, Cottons Bridge, Norton Crossings (from 1936), Preston Brook, Red Brow, and Tunnel Top (part).
The population was 333 in 1801, 594 in 1851, 454 in 1901, and 401 in 1951.