RUNCORN: Holy Trinity (Church of England)

Trinity Street
Click for photo of church

Church History

Built in 1838 as a chapel to Runcorn: All Saints. In 1840 it became a district church for part of the township of Runcorn

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1960 May 20 — reduced when two areas were transferred to Halton: St. Mary the Virgin.
  • 1960 May 20 — enlarged when the following area was transferred from Runcorn: St. Michael & All Angels: "All that part of the parish of Saint Michael and All Angels, IRuncom, which is bounded on the east by the parish of Holy Trinity, Runcorn, on the south by imaginary line which is described in paragraph 2 (a) of this schedule, and on the remaining side by an imaginary line commencing at a point in the middle of Heath Road opposite the middle of the western end of Boston Avenue, and proceeding thence northeastwards along the middle of Heath Road to the boundary which divides the parish olf Saint Michael and All Angels, Runcorn, from the parish of Holy Trinity, Runcorn".
  • 1960 May 20 — enlarged when the following area was transferred from Halton: St. Mary the Virgin: "All that part of the parish of Halton which is bounded on the north by the parish of Holy Trinity, Runcorn, and on the remaining sides by an imaginary line commencing at a point on the boundary which divides the parish of Holy Trinity, Runcorn, from the parish of Halton at the northwestern corner of close numbered 9 (on the map) and proceeding thence southwards along the western boundary of the last mentioned close to ithe point where it meets the northern boundary olf dose numbered 10, thence first westwards then northwestwards along the last mentioned boundary to the boundary which divides the parish of Halton from the parish of Holy Trinity. Runcorn".

In 1973 the district was amalgamated with Halton: St. Mary the Virgin and Grange: St. Andrew to create the combined district of "East Runcorn with Halton".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1838-1945 ; M 1861-1959 — Cheshire Record Office (P 134)
C from 1945 ; M from 1959 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1838-1945 ; M 1861-1959 — Cheshire Record Office ; Halton Lea Library
Bishop's Transcripts1838-48, 1851, 1854-68 (incomplete) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and IndexesM 1861-1950 — Cheshire BMD (HA:C11)

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches