WOODHEAD: St. James (Church of England)

Church History

Founded in 1724 as a chapel to Mottram In Longdendale: St. Michael. In 1840 it became the district church for part of the township of Tintwistle (previously served by Mottram In Longdendale: St. Michael).

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1782-1981 ; M 1856-1960 ; B 1782-1992 — Cheshire Record Office (P 76)
C from 1981 ; M from 1960 ; B from 1992 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1782-1981 ; M 1856-1960 ; B 1782-1992 — Cheshire Record Office
C 1782-1812 ; B 1782-1812 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
Bishop's Transcripts1816-41, 1843-67 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire (microfilmed)
Copies and IndexesCB 1780-1812 (index) — Cheshire Record Office
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by North Cheshire Family History Society (edited by H. Day), 1989

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches