FOREST CHAPEL: St. Stephen (Church of England)

Church History

Built in 1683 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, becoming the district church for the townships of Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough in 1906 (prevously served by Macclesfield: St. Michael & All Angels). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Macclesfield Forest with Wildboarclough" were described in the London Gazette on 6 March 1906:

"All that part of the said new parish of Macclesfield which is comprised within the townships of Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough"

The district included the chapel of Wildboarclough: St. Saviour, and was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1973 October 24 — reduced when the civil parish of Wildboarclough was transferred to Wincle: St. Michael, to form the combined district of "Wincle and Wildboarclough".

On 24 October 1973, the remainder of the district (comprising the civil parish of Macclesfield Forest) was amalgamated with that of Rainow: Holy Trinity, to form the combined district of "Rainow with Saltersford and Forest".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC 1675-1929 ; M 1891-1968 ; B 1731-1971 — Cheshire Record Office (P 88)
C from 1929 ; M from 1972 ; B from 1973 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1675-1929 ; M 1891-1968 ; B 1731-1971 — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Macclesfield Library
Bishop's Transcripts1812-1837 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and IndexesC 1731-1902 — North Cheshire Family History Society
M 1891-1972 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1059)
B 1732-1744, 1780-1971 — National Burial Index
B 1732-1744, 1780-1971 — published by North Cheshire Family History Society
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by North Cheshire Family History Society (edited by D. H. Way), 1981

Explanatory NotesIndex of Churches