WORLESTON: St. Oswald (Church of England)

Click for photo of church

Church History

Founded in 1873 as the district church for the townships of Aston-juxta-Mondrum, Cholmondeston, Poole, and Worleston (previously served by Acton: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint Oswald, Worleston" were described in the London Gazette on 17 January 1873:

"All that part of the parish of Acton, in the county of Chester, and in the diocese of Chester, wherein the present incumbent of such parish now possesses the exclusive cure of souls, which is comprised within, and is co-extensive with the limits of the four townships of Worleston, of Aston-juxta-Mondrum, of Cholmondeston, and of Poole".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1873-1965 ; M 1997-2007 ; B 1875-1997 — Cheshire Record Office (P 321)
C from 1965 ; M from 2007 ; B from 1997 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1873-1965 ; B 1875-197 — Cheshire Record Office
Bishop's Transcripts 1873-1882 (incomplete) — Cheshire Record Office (microfilmed)
Copies and Indexes M 1875-1973 — Cheshire BMD (CC:1100)
Monumental Inscriptions Published by South Cheshire Family History Society, 1997
Notes C 1873-1965 ; B 1875-1997 — damaged by fire ; illegible

Explanatory Notes Index of Churches