Originally called St Breock-in-Kirrier (Kerrier), St Breaca or St Briack, the parish is now just called 'Breage' (Cornish: Eglospennbro). It is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kirrier (Kerrier), and is bounded on the north by Crowan, on the east by Sithney, on the west by St Hilary and Germoe, and on the south by the sea. The parish of Breage is named after Saint Breage and is either pronounced 'Braig', or 'Breeg' as it is now more often heard.
Tregoning Hill (596 feet) and Godolphin Hill (495 feet) are in this parish. On the top of the former are the remains of a large Iron Age fort. It appears to have been of great strength and was one of the largest of the kind in Cornwall. The granite on Tregoning was of two types: one was used for ornamental building under the name of Breage stone; the other, abounding in talc, was worked as china clay.
Besides the Churchtown, the principal villages in this parish are: Ashton, Trew, Rinsey, Kenegy, Hendra, Tregunno, Trescow, Trevervas and Herland (where the Godolphin church stood). The fishing village of Porthleven was partly in this parish and partly in Sithney. The two new parishes of Godolphin and Porthleven were created from parts of this parish in 1846.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)