Constantine (Cornish: Lanngostentin) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. In 1869, it was bounded on the east by Budock and Mawnan, on the south by Helford Creek, which separates it from Manaccan, St Martins and Mawgan-in-Meneage, and on the west and north by Wendron, Stithians and Mabe. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Constantin. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Saint Constantin.
Constantine Churchtown is a well-built village seated on the brow of a hill in the midst of open country. Villages and hamlets in the parish include: Gweek, Seworgan, Brill, Port Navas, Budock Vean and Helford Passage.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Constantine is listed in Volume 23. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7329 and was dedicated to St Constantinus. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, north aisle, and an extreme north or Bosarne aisle. The arcades are of native granite supported on monolith pillars; the south arcade has six pointed arches, the north seven, and the extreme north three. A part of this last aisle was screened off for a vestry. Besides the south porch, there is a priest's entrance and a north door. The tower is of three stages and buttressed, the buttresses terminating in statues. The pinnacles are pannelled with Gothic tracery, and the uppermost stringcourse of the tower is ornamented with quadrefoils.
The church was given to the dean and chapter of Exeter by Peter Quivil, the Bishop, on 21st July 1285.
Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1835, the front of which is well-wrought granite ashlar. Near the Churchtown was another chapel belonging to the Bible Christians.
The parish of Constantine is in the Falmouth Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn. Parishes within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Constantine ecclesiastical parish:
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Constantine are available on-line.