Flushing (Cornish: Flushyn) is a well-sheltered fishing village half a mile from Falmouth. It is situated in the Hundred of Kerrier and was created from part of Mylor parish on 23rd June 1844. It is well-placed at the foot of a steep hill, having a southern aspect, and is a short journey across the water from Falmouth's Prince of Wales pier.
The Dutch constructed this port in the 18th century, and gave it the name of the Dutch port of Flushing from whence they came. It soon became a high-class residential district where the captains of the packets lived and whose fine houses may still be seen today. There is a ferry service from here to Falmouth. In consequence of the mildness of its temperature, it became popular in the late 19th century with the old and infirm. It is now a centre for oyster fishing and recreational sailing. HM Training ship Ganges, which was used to train boys, was located off here.
The hamlet of Tregew is contained in the parish.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1841. In the 1841 Census, Flushing was enumerated as part of Mylor.
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8033 and is dedicated to St Peter. It was built of stone in the Norman style in 1842 as a chapel-of-ease. It was opened for divine worship in February 1842 and was consecrated in August of that year. It consists of a nave, apse and bell turret; it has a single bell. It was renovated in 1871 by subscriptions collected by Captain Nevill Norway RN, when a vestry was added. The organ was brought from Exeter Hall, London. The church registers date from 1873.
Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built in 1815, Bible Christians had one built in 1833, and Primitive Methodist had a chapel built in 1866 here.
The parish of Flushing became part of the Falmouth Registration District on its creation; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Truro Registration District.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.