The parish of Mabe, (Cornish: Lannvab), anciently called La Vabe or Lavapper, was situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier; it is now in the Deanery of Carnmarth South. It is bounded on the north by St Gluvias, on the east by St Gluvias and Budock, on the south by Constantine, and on the west by Stithians and St Gluvias. It is immediately south-west of the town of Penryn. The Church, which is separate from the village, was originally dedicated to St Mabon (or Mabe), who is believed to have been one of the 24 children of King Broccan. Local quarries were once a chief source of granite for building projects such as Waterloo Bridge in London.
The chief villages are Burnthouse, Long Downs, and Rocky Town. A portion of the Falmouth reservoirs was in this parish.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The 1841 Census of Mabe (HO107/138), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241261.
The 1851 Census of Mabe (HO107/1911), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Mabe is listed in Volume 23. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7634 which is dedicated to St Laudus. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise six somewhat small four-centred arches of granite supported on slender octagonal monolith pillars of the same material. The chief entrance is a south porch; there is also a priest's door. The tower has three stages, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. In February 1866, the church was struck by lightning which damaged it such that the entire fabric, excepting the tower and porch, had to be rebuilt.
There is also another Anglican church at Ponsanooth which is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had chapels at Trenowth and Halvussoe; there is another at Edgecumbe which is now in this parish but was originally in Wendron.
The parish of Mabe is in the Falmouth Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn. Parishes within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Mabe ecclesiastical parish: