The small village of Pencoys, (Cornish: Pennkoes), is located two miles south of the town of Redruth on the B3297. The nearby village of Four Lanes stands 250 feet above sea level, overlooking the towns of Redruth and Camborne. Carn Brea is an Iron Age fort dating from 200 B.C. In the past, tin mining and quarrying used to be the main occupations of the area.
The parish was created from part of Wendron parish in 1881. The main village of the parish is Four Lanes.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
For 1841 to 1881 - see under Wendron. Census information for this parish (1891-1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1841. In the 1841 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
1851. In the 1851 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
1861. In the 1861 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
1871. In the 1871 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
1881. In the 1881 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish. The 1881 Census of the UK can be searched on-line courtesy of familySearch.org.
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6838, at Four Lanes, and is dedicated to St Andrew. It was erected in 1882 and is built of stone and granite in the Decorated style; it comprises a chancel, nave, porch and a western bellcote containing one bell. The registers date from 1882.
The parish of Pencoys was originally part of Wendron which was in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District.
The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.