Penponds, (Cornish: Pennpons), is in the Hundred of Penwith and Deanery of Carnmarth. The parish of Penponds stretches from the north coast of Cornwall to the north-west suburbs of the town of Camborne. It was created out of Camborne parish in 1857 because of its increasing population; it was the most agricultural area of that parish. The principal villages in Penponds are: Kehelland, Barripper and Ramsgate.
Penponds is now again administered as part of Camborne town.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1841. In the 1841 Census, Penponds was enumerated as part of Camborne.
1851. The 1851 Census of Penponds (HO107/1916) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
Anglican. The ecclesiastical parish of Penponds was formed in 1846 from Camborne civil parish. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6339 and was dedicated to: The Holy Trinity. This was built in 1854 out of stone with granite quoins in the early English style. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry. The arcade is of four arches, and there is a stone bell-cote, pierced for two bells. The registers date from 1854, although the parish was not gazetted until 1 January 1857. In 1901, the church was restored and decorated.
The ecclesiastical parish is now linked to Crowan parish.
Non-conformists. The Bible Christians had a chapel at Penponds, the United Methodists had a chapel at Barripper, and the Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Kehelland.