The parish occupies the south-eastern part of the town of Penzance. This parish, (Cornish: Pennsans Sen Jowann), was created in 1882 from Penzance, St Mary parish. The civil parish of St John is now but a part of Penzance Borough.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
This parish was formed in 1882. Census information for this parish (1891) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1891. The 1891 Census of Penzance, St John is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW4730 and was dedicated to St John the Baptist. The parish was formed from St Mary's parish in 1883 to serve the eastern part of Penzance. The church is sited at the top of Trewartha terrace; it is a building of moor stone, with granite dressings, in the Early English style. It was erected in 1881 at cost of £7,000, and consist of chancel, nave of four bays, transept, aisles, east and west porches and has one bell; there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1881.