The parish of St Germans, (Cornish: Lannaled), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East; in 1870, it is bounded on the north by Menheniot and Quethiock, on the east by Landrake, St Erney, St Germans Creek and Sheviock, on the south by the sea, and the west by St Martin-by-Looe, Morval and Menheniot. St Germanus was a well known missionary of Auxerre, but there has been some doubt as to whether he was the saint that gave his name to this parish. The village of St Germans is on the lower reaches of the River Tiddy that eventually flows into Plymouth Sound. Prior to the Norman Conquest the Saxon church was the cathedral of Cornwall. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century, the Eliot family bought the priory, which became known as Port Eliot. Although originally a busy fishing port, the major activity now is pleasure boating.
Villages in the parish were Tideford, Hessenford, Minard Cross, Polbathick, and Bethany.
Hessenford in 1834, and Tideford in 1852, were two new ecclesiastical parishes created out of this parish. In 1997, St Germans was split again to make two more parishes: St Germans and a new parish of Deviock. In consequence, the boundaries of the parish have frequently been changed due to this and various local government reorganisation initiatives.
St Germans is now surrounded by (starting on the west at the sea) Deviock, Morval, Menheniot, Quethiock, Landrake-with-St Erney and Sheviock.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)