Tintagel, (Cornish: Tre Venydh), sometimes Tintagel with Bossiney, is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the sea and Trevalga, on the east by Trevalga and Minster, on the south by the detached part of Lanteglos and St Teath, and on the west by the sea. The parish is on the north coast of Cornwall between Port Isaac and Boscastle. Strictly speaking the name of the village is Trevena, the name Tintagel referring only to the headland. Tintagel is perhaps best known for its castle ruins and alleged connection with the legendary King Arthur, although unfortunately little evidence has been found to support this story.
The first castle was built in the middle of the 12th century on the site of a Celtic monastery, long after the time King Arthur was supposed to have lived. The owner at this time was Reginald, Earl of Cornwall, Henry I's illegitimate son. However, it does appear Tintagel was the home of Cornish Royalty in the past and a place of some importance. The united borough of Trevena and Bossiney, commonly called Tintagel, returned two M.P.'s from 1552 until 1832, when the Reform Act did away with such 'Rotten Boroughs'. In 1584, the famous circumnavigator, Sir Francis Drake, was one of these.
A local family, by the name of Wood, lived at Trevillet in this parish. One descendant of this family called Matthew Wood, became Lord Mayor of London in 1816.
The village has several shops and the Old Post Office built in the 14th century is a constant tourist attraction. The nearby village of Tregatta is reputed at one time to have had nine public houses and eight places of worship. At Trevellet there is an old water mill built in 1472; the old workings of which can be seen in what is now a cafe. Besides the Churchtown, other villages in the parish are Trenaile, Trewithin, and Trewarmet.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)