Tuckingmill, (Cornish: Melindrukkya), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Penwith. It is located in a suburb of Camborne, close to Pool, and was created from neighbouring central portions of Camborne and Illogan parishes in 1845. A Tucking Mill was the west-country term for a fulling mill, i.e. where the homespun cloth was dipped, cleansed and dressed. It was here that William Bickford invented and produced the well-known safety fuse for conveying fire to the charge in blasting the explosives used in mining and elsewhere.
The Camborne Gas Works used to be located within this parish. The main centre of population is Pool.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Memorial inscriptions from the Tuckingmill cemeteries, and recorded by the CORNWALL INSCRIPTIONS PROJECT, found memorials in the church, in the large churchyard as well as in several chapels. The parish war memorial is located in the churchyard. There are the inevitable miscellaneous public memorials around the parish.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
1841. In the 1841 Census, Tuckingmill was enumerated as part of Camborne.
1851. The 1851 Census of Tuckingmill is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
The parish church is located in Pendarves Street, Camborne (OS Grid Square SW6540) and is dedicated to All Saints. The church was built of stone in the 'Mock Norman Style' in 1845 by the Basset family. It has the largest arch in Cornwall (outside Truro Cathedral). The church is a spacious and impressive building consisting of a nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch and a western tower containing one bell. The font bowl dates from 12th century, so was clearly brought from elsewhere. The windows above the main altar on the east side depict the birth, crucifixion and ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ. Sadly, there has been considerable damage in recent years to the north and south windows. The registers date from 1845. Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
Another Mission Church in this parish was built at Brea in 1888.
Non-Conformist. There were chapels in the parish for the Wesleyan Methodists, United Methodist Free Church, and the Primitive Methodists.
The parish of Tuckingmill is in the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth, as part of Camborne, and has been since its creation in 1845. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar of Camborne-Redruth is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.