"ADDINGHAM PARISH contains the four townships of Gamblesby, Glassonby, Hunsonby with Winskill, and Little Salkeld. It extends about six miles in length from E to W and two and a half in breadth from N to S; is bounded on the east by Hartside Fell, on the west by the river Eden, on the north by Kirkoswald, and on the south by Melmerby and Langwathby parishes. The soil is generally fertile, and in a high state of cultivation. On Finch Fell is a bed of fire stone, of superior quality. It has no village of its own name, the church being situated in the township and manor of Glassonby."
[Description from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847]
- A Description of Addingham transcribed from Mannix & Whellan's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Cumberland, 1847 by Carol Bennett.
- The transcription of the section for Addingham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.