"AIKTON, a parish in the ward of Cumberland, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles to the N.E. of Wigton, and 9 W. by S. from Carlisle. It is situated near the river Wampool, and includes the several townships of Aikton, Biglands with Gamelsby, Wampool, and Wiggonby. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £546, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is a small ancient structure. The parochial charities amount to £179, the whole of which, with the exception of £3, the endowment of Watson's school, belongs to the grammar school of Wiggonby, which was founded in 1792 by Margaret Hodgson."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Aikton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.