ALLONBY, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ALLONBY, a chapelry in the parish of Bromfield, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 22 miles to the S.W. of Carlisle. Maryport is the post town. It is situated on the Solway Frith, on that part of the coast which forms the bay of Allenby, and is near the railway from Carlisle to Maryport and Whitehaven. It has a good beach of firm sand, and is a favourite bathing-place. The herring fishery which was once carried on has declined, the herrings not now haunting that part of the sea. Allenby is a subport to Carlisle. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £94, in the patronage of the vicar of Bromfield. There is a free school for ten children, endowed by Mrs. Thomlinson, and there are six poor's cottages erected by Thomas Richardson. This village was the birthplace (1741) of Captain Joseph Huddart, the hydrographer and naval engineer."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]