Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"ALSTON, (or Alston Moor or Aldstone), a parish and market town in Leath ward, in the county of Cumberland, 29 miles to the S.E. of Carlisle, or 35 miles by rail; and 281 miles from London, or 290 by the Great Northern and York, Newcastle and Borwick railways. It contains the curacies of Garrigill and Nenthead, and the hamlets of Clarghyll, Nentsbury, Leadgate, and Nenthall. The town stands on the slope of a hill, on the right bank of the south Tyne, near the confluence of the Nent with that river." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Gossip Gate Chapel, Mounthooly, Independent
- St Augustine, Front Street, Church of England
- St John, Nenthead, Church of England
- Methodist Chapel, Chapel Terrace, Primitive Methodist
- Nenthead Chapel, Nenthead, Alston, Primitive Methodist
- Brownside Chapel (Ebenezer), Brownside, Alston, Wesleyan Methodist
- Cowgap Chapel (Ebenezer), Cowgap, Alston, Wesleyan Methodist
- Methodist Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist
- Nenthead Chapel, Nenthead, Alston, Wesleyan Methodist
- Nentsberry Chapel, Nentsberry, Alston, Wesleyan Methodist
- Friends' Meeting House, Front Street, Society of Friends
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Alston area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Alston which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Alston has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY719464 (Lat/Lon: 54.811686, -2.438753), Alston which are provided by: