"ALSTON, (or Alston Moor or Aldstone), a parish and market town in Leath ward, in the county of Cumberland, 29 miles to the S.E. of Carlisle, or 35 miles by rail; and 281 miles from London, or 290 by the Great Northern and York, Newcastle and Borwick railways. It contains the curacies of Garrigill and Nenthead, and the hamlets of Clarghyll, Nentsbury, Leadgate, and Nenthall. The town stands on the slope of a hill, on the right bank of the south Tyne, near the confluence of the Nent with that river."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Alston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.