"ARLECDON, a parish, township, and village in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 6 miles to the N.E. of Whitehaven, its post town, and about 10 miles S.W. from. Cockermouth. It comprises the townships of Frizington and Whillymoor. Coal, limestone and iron ore are obtained in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £100, in the patronage of the Bishop of Carlisle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Arlecdon from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.