"ARMATHWAITE, a chapelry in the parish of Hesket-in-the-Forest, Leath ward, in the county of Cumberland, 10 miles to the N. of Penrith. The river Eden flows by the village on the E., and is crossed by a stone bridge of four arches. In the neighbourhood are Baron Wood and Cooms Fell. The modern mansion, Armathwaite castle, stands on the site of an ancient fort, on a lofty rock by the river, and was for some time the seat of the Skeltons, one of whom was John Skelton, the satirical poet."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Armathwaite from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.