"ARTHURET parish has a length of seven miles and a breadth of four. It lies between the rivers Esk, Lyne, and Liddel, and is bounded on the west, north and east sides by the parish of Kirkandrews. Also on the east by Stapleton and on the south by Kirklinton. The parish is divided into the four townships of Brackenhill, Lynside, Longtown and Netherby and contains territory once known as the debatable lands." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
"Arthuret parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, stands on a beautiful eminence, about half a mile from Longtown. The present church was erected in 1609 by the help of a charity brief, the previous on having been a mean, low, ruinous building, and often destroyed by the Scots. The person in whose custody the money collected for the new church was placed, absconded, carrying off with him a considerable sum, and this loss so crippled the resources of the parishioners that the tower was left unfinished unti the rectorship of Dr. Todd, through whose exertions the structure was completed in 1690." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
Arthuret fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
The Province of York covered most of northern England, including Arthuret, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.