"BEAUMONT, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland 4 miles to the N.W. of Carlisle. It is situated on the banks of the river Eden. The Carlisle canal, admitting vessels of sixty tons burden, passes through the parish. The great Roman wall, too, crossed it. Bricks and tiles are made here. The living is a rectory* united with that of Kirk-Andrew's-upon-Eden, in the diocese of Carlisle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Beaumont from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.