"BOLTON, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, not far from Ireby. Wigton is its post town. It is situated in a hilly country on the banks of the river Ellen, and includes the townships of High Bolton, Low Bolton, or Bolton Wood, and Quarry Hill. Many of the inhabitants are employed in working the coal and limestone, which are very abundant here. Copper is also obtained."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Bolton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.