"BOOTLE, (anciently Bothill), a parish and small town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 8 miles to the S. of Ravenglass, and 24 from Whitehaven. It is a station on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway. The parish is situated in the southern extremity of the county, in a district abounding in fine scenery, and extends about 8 miles along the coast, from Whitbeck to the mouth of the Esk, and is about 4 miles in breadth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Bootle from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.