"BORROWDALE, a chapelry in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 6 miles to the S. of Keswick, its post town. It is situated in a narrow valley, bearing the same name, at the head of Derwentwater. The district is wild and mountainous, abounding in scenery of varied grandeur and beauty. The river Derwent takes its rise at Sparkling Tarn, at the head of the valley, runs between beautiful meadows shut in by mountains on both sides, rising to the height of 400 or 500 feet, and expands into the fine lake which bears its name."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Borrowdale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.