"BOWNESS, (or Boulness), a parish in Cumberland ward, in the county of Cumberland, 12 miles to the W. of Carlisle, its post town, and 10 N. of Wigton. It is situated on the south coast of the Solway Frith, on a rocky promontory, where the Carlisle Ship canal terminates. Drumburgh station of the Carlisle and Silloth, and Port Carlisle railway is about 3 miles distant. The parish includes the townships of Anthorn, Bowness, Drumburgh, and Fingland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Bowness from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.