"Brampton is located about nine miles east of Carlisle on the road to Newcastle, the A69, and lies between the rivers Irthing and Gelt. It is bordered on the north by Lanercost and Walton parishes, on the west by Irthington, on the south by Hayton, and on the east by Nether Denton and Farlam. The parish comprises the townships of Brampton, Easby and Naworth. The town of Brampton consists principally of two streets and the market square."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- A branch library is located on Front Street in Brampton, though for Family History research, the Carlisle branch of Cumbria Libraries may be more useful.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Changing Face of Brampton, Iain Parsons, Bookcase 1996, Carlisle, ISBN 0 9519920 6 0.
The town of Brampton has been central to the area's history for centuries. Mr. Parsons has, for years, been collecting photographs depicting the town as it has changed. His collection has now been published in a well done, 96 page book. Many wonderful photographs are used with commentary based on the author's knowledge and the reflections of those donating their old photographs. He uses extracts from turn of the century Ordnance Survey maps to show where long gone buildings once stood.
- An account of the Church History of Brampton, transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference PR60):
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1663-1961 1669-1950 1787-1961 1663-1964 1665-1872 Baptisms Marriage Burial 1834-1863 1841-1859 1861 Baptisms Circuit Registers 1840-1963 Chapel Registers 1889-1934
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- Here is some information concerning travel in and around Brampton, Cumbria.
- A Description of Brampton transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Brampton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Brampton was a part of the Howard of Naworth family estates and the Barony of Gilsland. Many of the Manorial Records are available at the Carlisle CRO, but the bulk of the family records have been deposited in the University of Durham's Library. More detailed information may be found on the Durham University Library - Special Collections website.
- Brampton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.