"BRIDEKIRK, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the N. of Cockermouth, its post town. It lies on the N. of the river Derwent, not far from the Maryport and Carlisle railway, and includes the townships of Great Broughton, Little Broughton, Dovenby, Papcastle, Ribton, and Tallentire. The parish contains some quarries of limestone and freestone. This place was one of the possessions of Gisburn Monastery, on the dissolution of which the manor was granted by Henry VIII. to Henry Tolson, but the lands have long been enfranchised and are freehold."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Bridekirk from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.