"BRIGHAM, a parish and township in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2½ miles W. of Cockermouth, 6 miles S.E. of Maryport, and 25 to the S.W. of Carlisle. There are two stations on the Cockermouth and Workington railway, one close to the village, and the other at Broughton Cross. The parish is situated in a hilly but cultivated country on the banks of the rivers Derwent and Cocker, Bassenthwaite-water forming part of its eastern, and the lakes Buttermere, Crummock, and Loweswater part of its western boundary."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Brigham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.