BRIGHAM, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BRIGHAM, a parish and township in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2½ miles W. of Cockermouth, 6 miles S.E. of Maryport, and 25 to the S.W. of Carlisle. There are two stations on the Cockermouth and Workington railway, one close to the village, and the other at Broughton Cross. The parish is situated in a hilly but cultivated country on the banks of the rivers Derwent and Cocker, Bassenthwaite-water forming part of its eastern, and the lakes Buttermere, Crummock, and Loweswater part of its western boundary. It is within the honour of Cockermouth, and contains the borough and market town of Cockermouth, the chapelries of Buttermere, Cockermouth, Embleton, Lorton, Messer, Setmurthy, and Wythop, and the townships of Blindbothel, Brigham, Eaglesfield, Graysouthen, and Whinfell. Limestone, freestone, and slate are quarried here, and some coal is obtained. The village is pleasantly seated on a hill, commanding a good prospect. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £220, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, which stands by the Derwent, is an ancient edifice in the decorated style, dedicated to St. Bridget. The Wesleyans have a small chapel, built in 1856. The parish has the benefit of charitable endowments producing about £140 per annum; but the charities of the township amount only to £5 per annum. There is a parochial school for boys and girls, with an endowment of £3 per annum; also a Sunday-school, built in 1839. The vicarage is situated near the church, and was erected in 1847." "BLINDBOTHEL, a township in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the S. of Cockermouth." "BRACKENTHWAITE, a township in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 8 miles to the W. of Keswick. It is in a district abounding in fine scenery, at the head of Loweswater, and near Grisdale Pike. Lead has been found in the hills." "EAGLESFIELD, a township in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles to the S.W. of Cockermouth, within which borough it is situated. A Roman pavement was discovered here. The manor was possessed by the Confessor of Queen Philippa. There is a small chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, and a parochial school at Blindbothel for the education of the children of both townships. The great chemist, Dalton, was born here. General Wyndham is lord of the manor. The commons of Eaglesfield and Blindbothel were enclosed in 1814." "GRAYSOUTHEN, a township in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles S.W. of Cockermouth, and 5 E. of Workington. The Broughton Cross station on the Workington and Cockermouth line of railway is about 1 mile N. of the village. It is situated near the river Derwent, and contains a factory for agricultural implements, and a flax-mill. The people are chiefly employed in the coal-pits. The Wesleyans and Society of Friends have places of worship, and there are parochial schools for both sexes. The tithes have been commuted for land under several Enclosure Acts. General Wyndham is lord of the manor." "WHINFELL, a township in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles S. of Cockermouth, under Whinfell Beacon." "WYTHOP, a township in the chapelry of Lorton and parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Cockermouth, and 7 N.W. of Keswick. It is situated near Bassenthwaite lake, and includes the extra parochial district of Wythop Mill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]