BURGH BY SANDS, Cumberland
"BURGH-BY-SANDS, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 5 miles to the N.W. of Carlisle, its post town. It is situated near the S. coast of the Solway Frith, and is a station on the Carlisle and Silloth Bay railway. The parish, which is very extensive, comprising an area of 7,839 acres, is crossed by the ship canal from Carlisle to the Solway Frith, and contains the townships of Boustead Hill, Burgh-by-Sands, Longburgh, and Moor-house."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Burgh by Sands from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.