CALDER BRIDGE, Cumberland
"CALDER, (or Calder-Bridge), a village and chapelry in the parish of St. Bridget's Beckermet, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles to the N.W. of Ravenglass, and 9¾ from Whitehaven. Egremont is its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the sea-coast, on the banks of the river Calder, 1½ mile from the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway, which has a station at Sellafield. The Calder flows along a beautiful and wooded valley to the sea, and is at this place crossed by a bridge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Calder Bridge from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.