"CARLISLE, comprising the parishes of St. Cuthbert and St. Mary, it is a city, bonding port, municipal and parliamentary borough, locally in Cumberland ward, in the county of Cumberland, 301 miles to the N.N.W. of London, 101 from Edinburgh, 195 from Birmingham, and 261 from Aberdeen. It is an important centre of railway communication on the W. border of Scotland, being the terminus of the Caledonian, Glasgow, and South-Western, and of the Lancaster and Carlisle section of the London and North-Western."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Carlisle from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.