CARLISLE St Cuthbert, Cumberland

"BLACKWELL, (High and Low) townships in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, Cumberland ward, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the S. of Carlisle. They lie between the Lancaster and Carlisle and the Maryport railways. The charitable endowments of the townships, consisting of a bequest by Thomas Lowrey, in 1779, for a school and the relief of poor widows, and a bequest by Grace Graham, about 20 years later, for a school at Dunbar, produce about 14 per annum." "BRISCOE, (or Birksceugh), a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, in the ward and county of Cumberland, 3 miles to the S. of Carlisle. It is situated on the river Petterill, and is crossed by the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, which has a station at Wreay. The first wheat crop in Cumberland was produced in this township, at the beginning of the 18th century. Here are some print-works. Briscoe is included in the manor of Botchard Gate, but a small sum is paid as quit-rent to Sir Walter Brisco, of Crofton Hall, whose ancestors were its lords. The old mansion of Newbiggin was anciently the occasional abode of the priors of Carlisle, who built here a tower of defence against the Scots, and the walls of the mansion are 9 feet thick, with vaulted ceilings." "CARLETON, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, ward and county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the S.E. of Carlisle. It is near the Carlisle and Lancaster railway." "ENGLISH STREET, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, city of Carlisle, county Cumberland. See Carlisle." "HARRABY, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, Cumberland ward, county Cumberland, 1 mile S.E. of Carlisle. It is situated near the river Caldew and the Lancaster railway." "UPPERBY, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Cuthbert, ward and county of Cumberland, 2 miles S.E. of Carlisle, its post town, and 11 from Wigton. The village is situated on the river Petterill, and on the Lancaster railway. Damask and linen are made. In the vicinity is a flour mill, and alabaster is worked. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value 140, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The site of the church was the gift of Mr. Fawcett."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.