CARLISLE St Mary, Cumberland

"BRAITHWAITE, a hamlet in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, Leath ward, in the county of Cumberland, 6 miles to the E. of Hesket-Newmarket. It is joined to the hamlet of Middlesceugh; and, like it, lies detached, and at some distance from the parish to which it belongs."

"CALDEWGATE, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, locally in the ward of Cumberland, in the county of Cumberland, but forming part of the city of Carlisle."

"CUMMERSDALE, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, city of Carlisle, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles S.W. of Carlisle. It is pleasantly situated on the river Caldew, and has a station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway, where trains stop on Saturdays. An extensive trade is carried on in flour. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in calico and furniture printing, and in cotton spinning."

"FISHER STREET, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, city of Carlisle, county Cumberland."

"MIDDLESCEUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, Leath ward, county Cumberland, 9 mile N.W. of Penrith, and 6 E. by N. of Hesket-Market. It is situated on a branch of the river Caldew, and is joined to Braithwaite."

"RICKERGATE, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, city of Carlisle, county Cumberland."

"SCOTCH STREET, a township in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, city of Carlisle, county Cumberland."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]