Link to maps of St John (GENUKI)

CASTLERIGG ST JOHN, Cumberland

"ST. JOHN, a chapelry and township in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2 miles E. of Keswick. It is situated on the beck which flows out of Thirlemere through a vale, and with Castlerigg forms a separate township The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £63, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale and the landowners. The new church of St. John's is situated in a hollow."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.