"CLEATOR, a parish and post town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Whitehaven, and 2 from Egremont. Cleator Moor is a station on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Junction of the North-Western railway. The village is large, and contains some good houses. It is situated on the river Ehen. The value of property is much enhanced, owing to the rapid rise of the population from 300 to 3,995. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £79, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Congregational Chapel, Ennerdale Road, Cleator Moor, Congregational
- St John, Crossfield Road, Cleator Moor, Church of England
- St Leonard, Church of England
- Wath Brown Mission Church, Trumpet Road, Cleator Moor, Church of England
- Methodist Chapel, Earl Street, Cleator Moor, Methodist
- Presbyterian Church, High Street, Cleator Moor, Presbyterian
- St Bega, Crossings Close, Cleator Moor, Roman Catholic
- St Mary, Trumpet Terrace, Cleator Moor, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Cleator area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
You can see pictures of Cleator which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cleator has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY016135 (Lat/Lon: 54.507243, -3.521244), Cleator which are provided by: