Link to maps of Cleator (GENUKI)

CLEATOR, Cumberland

"CLEATOR, a parish and post town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Whitehaven, and 2 from Egremont. Cleator Moor is a station on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Junction of the North-Western railway. The village is large, and contains some good houses. It is situated on the river Ehen. The value of property is much enhanced, owing to the rapid rise of the population from 300 to 3,995. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value 79, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

 

Gazetteers

History


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.