"CLEATOR, a parish and post town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Whitehaven, and 2 from Egremont. Cleator Moor is a station on the Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Junction of the North-Western railway. The village is large, and contains some good houses. It is situated on the river Ehen. The value of property is much enhanced, owing to the rapid rise of the population from 300 to 3,995. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £79, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Cleator from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Cleator Moor - Local History site provides a very wide range of information about Cleator and Cleator Moor (known locally as 'Little Ireland') Added 20 Mar 2005.