"COCKERMOUTH, a parliamentary borough, market town, and chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 8 miles E. of Workington, and 15½ N.W. of Whitehaven. It has a station on the Cockermouth and Workington branch of the North-Western railway. A new line is in course of construction from Cockermouth, through the vale of the Derwent, to join the Lancaster and Carlisle line near Penrith."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Cockermouth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.