"COCKERMOUTH, a parliamentary borough, market town, and chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 8 miles E. of Workington, and 15½ N.W. of Whitehaven. It has a station on the Cockermouth and Workington branch of the North-Western railway. A new line is in course of construction from Cockermouth, through the vale of the Derwent, to join the Lancaster and Carlisle line near Penrith." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Main Street, Independent
- All Saints, Kirkgate, Church of England
- Christ Church, Sullart Street, Church of England
- High Head Chapel, ., Skelton, Church of England
- Methodist Church, New Road, Methodist
- Market Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Friends' Meeting House, Kirkgate, Society of Friends
- St Joseph, Crown Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Cockermouth area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
You can see pictures of Cockermouth which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cockermouth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY122304 (Lat/Lon: 54.661028, -3.362646), Cockermouth which are provided by: