CROSBY ON EDEN, Cumberland
"This parish, as the name indicates, lies along the banks of the Eden, and is bounded on the other sides by Scaleby, Stanwix, and Irthington. It is divided into four townships, viz., High Crosby, Low Crosby, Brunstock, and Walby, whose united area is, according to the latest returns, 2,855 acres, which are assessed at £4,060. The only employment of the inhabitants, who number 593, is agriculture, for which the soil of the parish is generally well adapted."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- Notes on the parish registers of Crosby-On-Eden, T.H. Hodgson, O.S. 1888, Vol 9.
- "THE CHURCH, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1864, upon the site of an older edifice. Like the majority of modern churches, it is in the Gothic style, and is a substantial structure, con- sisting of nave and chancel with organ loft. Its erection cost about £1,800, which was chiefly raised by subscription among the parishioners. The church contains about 200 sittings, the greater part of which are free. The old Norman font, which stood in the original edifice, is still preserved in the church ; but it possesses no features deserving a special description. The church passed with the manor from the priory to the bishop of Carlisle, who has exercised the right of patronage ever since. The living is valued in the King's Book at £7 11s. 4d., but is now worth £300 per annum. The tithes were commuted about thirty years ago for £375. The vicarage is a plain structure between High and Low Crosby, rebuilt about eighty years ago. It is now the residence of the curate, the Rev. Robert Hind. The school, adjoining the church, is a neat stone building, erected in 1844 at a cost of £350, and enlarged in 1882 at an outlay of £110. It is attended by about 100 children, who pay 2d. or 4d. per week according to the circumstances of the parents." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference: PR109)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1649-1978 1700-1976 1755-1927 1698-1906 1664-1877
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Crosby on Eden transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Crosby on Eden from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Crosby-on-Eden fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.