Link to maps of Culgaith (GENUKI)

CULGAITH, Cumberland

"CULGAITH, a chapelry in the parish of Kirkland, ward of Leath, in the county of Cumberland, 6½ miles E. of Penrith, its post town, and 1 mile N. of Temple Sowerby station on the Eden Valley railway. It is bounded on the W. by the river Eden, and on the S. by the river Tees. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkland. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small stone edifice."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

 

Bibliography

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Historical Geography

History

Names, Geographical

Population

Probate Records

[Page originated by Dave Huddart and updated 29 Aug 2004 - David Hawgood]


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.